Sugar Land, Texas Apartments
Information about Sugar Land City:
Sugar Land has quite a heritage, and you can trace its roots back all the way back to the original land grant and Stephen F. Austin. This land was originally called Oakland Plantation by Samuel M. Williams, who was one of the first settlers on the land. This is because there so many different oak varieties on the land, including Live Oak, Pin Oak, Post Oak, Red Oak and Water Oak. The land was purchased from Samuel M. Williams by his brother Nathaniel in 1838. The Sugar Land plantation was operated by growing corn, cotton and sugar cane. The area which is now known as Sugar Land was the center of social life during these early years, especially along the Brazos River. The Oakland Plantation was purchased from the Samuel M. Williams family by Benjamin Terry and William J. Kyle in 1853. Terry is most well known for organizing the Terry's Texas Rangers during the Civil War, as well as for giving the town its name. The 12,500 acre plantation was purchased by Colonel E. H. Cunningham following the deaths of Kyle and Terry. The town was developed into a sugar refining plant after the Civil War, during 1879.
An Amendment was passed in 1990 that changed how the city government was run. Rather than using a city council, Sugar Land began to operate with an elected mayor, four council members that would be elected by single-member districts, as well as two council members that would be elected by an at-large position. Sugar Land was considered to be one of the most quickly growing communities in the entire nation during much of the 1990s. The majority of residents in Sugar Land are college-educated white collar workers who participated in the energy industry that Houston is world renowned for. There are six main traffic ways in the city, including the United States highway 59 and the Texas Highway 6, both of which are lined by a large amount of recent commercial growth; including low-rise office structures, high class restaurants and banks.
Sugar Land was forced to increase its tax base when the First Colony Mall was opened in 1996. This mall was the first in Fort Bend County, and comprises more than one million square feet. It was situated along the busiest intersection in the entire city, which is the intersection between Highway 59 and Texas Highway 6. The mall was originally named based on the 10,000 acre First Colony community which is the master-planned community that it is situated within.
Sugar Land annexed the remaining MUDs or Municipal Utility Districts from the original 10,000 acre master-planned First Colony community in November of 1997. This brought the population of Sugar Land to 60,000. A new 428-acre master planned community known as Avalon was developed in 1998, offering living at lake-side with lakefront and estate home sites which were similar to the ones being developed in the built-out parts of the Sugar Lake master-planned community. Both of these communities were initially developed by the same developer.
Sugar Land has boasted that they have the highest amount of growth among all of the largest cities in Texas according to the United States 2000 Census, with a population of nearly 63,328 and an estimated population of 73,721 by 2004. Sugar Land was named a principle city in 2003, when the title became the Houston, Sugarland and Baytown Metropolitan area. Galveston was replaced by Sugar Land as the second most important city in the entire metropolitan area, with only Houston above it. The title used to be Houston-Galveston-Brazoria before becoming Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown.
The new millennium also ended up seeing a need for facilities for higher education. The University of Houston System at Fort Bend in charge of the four University of Houston System schools moved to a completely new facility in 2002. This new 250 acre campus is located between University Boulevard and the United States Highway 59. Sugar Land helped to fund the Albert and Mamie George Building, which led to renaming the multi-institution teaching center to the University of Houston System at Sugar Land.
Sugar Land approved a land plan for a new master planned community which would be situated to the south of Commonwealth, east of Avalon and just south of the First Colony. This master planned community would be known as Riverstone, though it was formerly referred to as the Sugar Land Ranch in the year 2002. Riverstone is comprised of 2,800 with around 2,300 acres of woods surrounding it. Riverstone is located within the extraterritorial jurisdiction or ETJ of Sugar Land. This community is planned to feature a country club and golf course, as well as 500 acres worth of park situated along the Brazos River. The major travel ways through this community center around the un-built portion of both University Blvd and the Palm Royale Blvd extension which comes from First Colony.
Sugar Land Official